Folks... we have a very full shelter right now. It is SO cold outside this week, that the dogs don't get to spend much time outdoors or on walks, and we need help to keep them from going crazy until our weather improves! Some of our dogs could care less what its like outside, as long as they get to have some fun in it.
If you have an hour or two that you could spare during the day helping in any capacity at the shelter, it would be most appreciated in this time of need. (We are also looking for part- time weekend staff)
The biggest need at the moment is time spent with the dogs, either taking them for a brief walk (long ones aren't possible in this weather), or by taking them out for a bathroom break, then spending some time brushing, petting or scratching a belly or two. If just 5 non-wimpy walkers came, it would be all done in an hour!
The shelter is closed for cleaning and work catch-up on Tuesdays and Sundays, but help is always welcome, especially from those who know the routine and do not require instruction. If you are not a regular, here are some basic dog walking instructions:
1. Check the board at the entrance of the dog room. The dog listed on the top will get along with the ones below it. (The ones listed below may not get along with each other... just with the one on the top). Try not to walk incompatible dogs past each other or close together, if this can be avoided. This causes a lot of stress and may be dangerous.
2. Try not to allow dogs to "do their business" on neighbouring business yards. Bring a bag from the dispenser at the front gate just in case. Please respect businesses by not walking through their yards.
3. Walk the dogs away from the shelter so they can have some time to de-stress.
4. Do not allow the dogs to sniff droppings, or touch noses with other dogs that they do not normally play with, or to eat garbage they may find along the way.
5. Keep the dog on a leash at all times.
6. Check with staff before walking to fill out a volunteer form. They must know you are there, and can give any further instruction as needed, such as which dogs may chase cars, or which ones cannot go out.
7. Wear cleats or ice grips, if you have some please! There are lots of places here and elsewhere that sell them. Email me at email@example.com if you'd like a good recommendation, or have further questions.
If you come to walk dogs during non-public hours, please close the gate behind you, propping it open a bit with the orange cones, so you can get in and out easily.
Monday: 12pm to 2pm
Tuesday: Closed (Evening dog walking is currently from 6:30-8pm)
Wednesday: 12pm to 2pm
Thursday: 12pm to 2pm
Friday: 12pm to 2pm
Saturday: 12pm to 2pm
Thanks in advance!
Thanks also to those that responded to our plea for more food. The response was great and our shed has been stocked well.
Anyone wishing to make a monetary donation can do so at the Peace River Building and Feed Store, only a couple blocks down from us, on the road behind The Brick.